Awesome Jekyll alternatives and similar gems
Based on the "Jekyll" category.
Alternatively, view Awesome Jekyll alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
4.2 9.2 Awesome Jekyll VS BridgetownA Webpack-aware, Ruby-powered static site generator for the modern Jamstack era
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Awesome Jekyll or a related project?
Awesome Series @ Planet Jekyll
A collection of awesome Jekyll goodies (tools, templates, themes, plugins, guides, etc.)
Contributions welcome. Anything missing? Send in a pull request. Thanks.
Jekyll Headquarters (HQ)
Simple, blog-aware static website generator - the world's most popular website compiler - publish blogs, books, radio talk shows, talk slides and much more
- Jekyll (web: jekyllrb.com, github: jekyll, gem: jekyll)
- Official News & Updates - what's news?
- Official Talk Forum - discuss all things Jekyll
The world's greatest static websites
- Jekyll Static Site Showcase @ Planet Jekyll (web: planetjekyll.github.io/showcase) - Bootstrap, Polymer, The Open Data Handbook, Stack Exchange Blog, and many more; all sites with sources
- Jekyll F.A.Q.s @ Planet Jekyll (github: planetjekyll/quickrefs/FAQ.md) -- Frequently Asked Questions & Answers
Quick References / Cheat Sheets
- Jekyll Quick Reference (Cheat Sheet) @ Planet Jekyll (github: planetjekyll/quickrefs/JEKYLL.md)
- Jekyll Cheat Sheet @ Jekyll Tips (web: cheat.jekyll.tips)
- Jekyll Cheat Sheet @ Devhints.io (web: devhints.io/jekyll, github: rstacruz/cheatsheets/jekyll.md) - by Rico Sta. Cruz
- Hyde Press Bookshelf (web: hydepress.github.io, twitter: hydepress) -- Free (Online) Books about Jekyll and friends
Online - World Wide - Intertubes
- JekyllConf (web:
jekyllconf.com, twitter: jekyllconf) -- online global conference for all things Jekyll; best practices, case studies, the future of jekyll and more
- 2016 @ Intertubes; Saturday May/7th (FREE) - #2
- 2015 @ Intertubes; Saturday May/2nd (FREE) - #1
Jekyll Tips (web: CloudCannon Academy (formally known as jekyll.tips), github: CloudCannon/Academy)
- Getting Started Guide
- And many more
- CloudCanon CMS for Jekyll: Building a Multilingual Site by Jean-Sebastien Tremblay; Snipcart; Sep 2017
- Achieving 100 / 100 on Google PageSpeed Insights (using Jekyll) by Andy Smart; March 2016
- Goodbye Medium, Hello Jekyll by Jared White; March 2016
- How I'm Using Jekyll in 2016 by Michael Rose; February 2016
- How I'm Using Jekyll in 2017 by Michael Rose; August 2017
- How to Create an Open Source Directory on GitHub Pages by David Darnes; March 2016
- Why I left Blogger for Jekyll by Fred; March 2016
- Consider Jekyll: why I use Jekyll to publish on the web and why you might be interested by Oliver Pattison; March 2016
- How We Built Our Blog (with Jekyll) by Jon Chan; StackExchange Inc.; July 2015
- Building a blog using Jekyll by Jeremias Menichelli
- A Fast Blogging Solution: Building a Simple Jekyll Blog by PJ Hagerty; EngineYard Inc.; Feb 2015
- Building Static Sites with Jekyll by Andrew Burgess; tuts+; Oct 2011
- Using Jekyll and GitHub Pages for Our Site by Young Hahn; Development Seed; Sep 2011
- Making Jekyll multilingual by @sylvaindurand, Oct 2016
- Set Up a Jekyll Blog in 5 Minutes with Poole by Vikas Lalwani; June 2015
- Jekyll on Rails by Jesse Herrick; Apr 2015
- Static Blogging Tool Face-Off: Middleman vs Jekyll by David Turnbull; Feb 2015
- Blogging: WordPress or Jekyll by Hugo Giraudel; Nov 2014
- Getting Started with Jekyll Collections by Taylor Jones; Oct 2014
- Zero to Jekyll in 20 minutes by Jonathan Jackson; Apr 2012
- More Jekyll Articles @ SitePoint
Jekyll From Scratch Series by Mike Greiling (PixelCog; Minneapolis, MN)
- Getting Started; Jul 2013
- Core Architecture; Jul 2013
- Extending Jekyll; Jul 2013
- PixelCog.com Site (github: pixelcog/pixelcog.github.io)
- Jekyll Casts by Mike Neumegen (CloudCannon); FREE
- #1 - Introduction to Collections -- Learn how to use collections to manage and organize related content
- #2 - Front matter -- Use front matter to set variables on your page
- #3 - Layouts -- Use Jekyll layouts to reduce repetition on your site
- #4 - Includes -- Jekyll includes let you include page fragments on your site
- #5 - Introduction to Liquid -- Introduction to using Liquid in Jekyll static site generator
- #6 - Control Flow Statements in Liquid -- Use liquid to control which content is displayed on the page
- #7 - Looping in Liquid -- Control how liquid loops over your content
- #8 - String Filters in Liquid -- Modify string variables in liquid
- and many more
- Jekyll Bookmarks @ The New Dynamic by Bud Parr
Themes / Templates
See the Jekyll Theme Directory @ Dr. Jekyll's ».
- Michael Rose (Made Mistakes) Jekyll Themes -- Skinny Bones, Minimal Mistakes, So Simple, HiPSTeR, etc.
- Henry's Jekyll Themes -- Boom!, Classics Book, Starter, Starter V2, Minimalistic, etc.
- Poole's Jekyll Themes by Mark Otto -- Poole, Lanyon, Hyde
- The Zen of Book Designs -- One Book, Many Designs
- The Zen of Page Designs -- One Page, Many Designs
- Slide Show (S9) Templates -- Slide Show / Presentation Templates e.g. S6 Blank, deck.js, impress.js, etc.
Theme Package Manager and Wizards
- drj / drjekyll (github: drjekyllthemes/drjekyll, gem: drjekyll) -- the missing static site theme package manager
- mrh / mrhyde (github: mrhydescripts/mrhyde, gem: mrhyde-tools) -- static site quick starter script wizard
- mrhyde wizard scripts -- automate, automate, automate
- slush gh-pages / GitHub Pages Generator (github: ronik-design/slush-gh-pages, npm: slush-gh-pages) -- boilerplate wizard with CSS framework selection and extensive Node.js-based tooling. Specifically intended for use with GitHub Pages.
- Q&A w/ Tim Wisniewski (U.S. Open Data); March 2016
Plugins / Extensions
See the Awesome Jekyll Plugins List (github: planetjekyll/awesome-jekyll-plugins) ».
- Jekyll Spaceship ★90 (gem: jekyll-spaceship) -- 🚀 A Jekyll plugin to provide powerful supports for table, mathjax, plantuml, mermaid, emoji, video, youtube, vimeo, dailymotion, audio, spotify, soundcloud, etc.
- Jekyll::NewsSitemap ★2 (gem: jekyll-news-sitemap) -- Jekyll plugin to silently generate Google News Sitemap based on posts.
Snippets / Recipes
- Jekyll Snippets @ Planet Jekyll (github: planetjekyll/snippets)
- Jekyll Snippets/CheatSheet Page @ CloudCannon Academy (formally Jekyll Tips)
Tips / Tricks
- Jekyll and AngularJS by Jesse Herrick; May 2015
Liquid Template Language
Docs @ Liquid Wiki
- Liquid for Designers
- Output (
- Advanced output: Filters • Standard Filters
- Tags (
- Comments • Raw • If / Else • Case Statement • Cycle • For loops • Variable Assignment
- Output (
- Liquid for Programmers
- Create your own filters
- Create your own tags
- Create your own tag blocks
Docs @ Shopify
Modern hypertext markup in easy-to-read and easy-to-write ye olde plain vanilla text
See the Awesome Markdown List @ Write Kit (github: writekit/awesome-markdown) ».
- Manuscripts News (twitter: manuscriptsnews) -- For news about writing in Markdown 'n' friends (e.g. tools, tips & trips, etc.) follow @manuscriptsnews on Twitter.
Command Line Tools
jcli.sh(github: StefanKrauth/shell-scripts/jcli.sh) by Stefan Krauth - Jekyll Bash Command Line Interface
jbh.sh(github: alanbarber/jbh) by Alan Barber - Jekyll Blog Helper
jtasks(github: pavdmyt/jtasks) by Pavel Dmytrenko - simple, but powerful, interface to run both common and advanced routines in Jekyll projects
- Jekyll Starter Kit - A Jekyll Progressive Web App yeoman generator.
- Generator Jekyll Plugin by Jam Risser - 💎 Yeoman generator for jekyll plugins
"Visual" Editors n Tools
See the Awesome Jekyll Editors List (github: planetjekyll/awesome-jekyll-editors) ».
Octopress Headquarters (HQ)
Jekyll's Ferrari - obsessively designed toolkit for writing and deploying jekyll blogs
Publish / Upload / Deploy / Sync
- How to automatically deploy static web site to the hosting by Vitaly Repin; Jul 2015
- Step 1: Install rrsync to your home folder (server-side)
- Step 2: Setup certificate-based ssh access (server side)
- Step 3: Rsync! (client-side)
- Optional step 4: exclude transfer.sh from being copied to the output folder by Jekyll
- Deploy Jekyll sites to S3 using Travis CI
- Deploy Jekyll sites anywhere using jekyll-hook
- Building and publishing a Jekyll site using Buddy CI/CD
GitHub Pages Headquarters (HQ)
Websites for you and your projects
- GitHub Pages (web: pages.github.com, github: github/pages-gem, gem: github-pages)
- GitHub Pages Starter Pack: Extended Resources
Official Doc / Help Pages
- GitHub Pages Basics
- Using Jekyll with GitHub Pages
- and many more
- Customizing GitHub Pages
- GitHub Pages Troubleshooting
- Unpublishing a Project Pages site
- and many more
Milestones / History
- April 2016 +++ A look behind our decision to standardize on a single Markdown engine for GitHub Pages
- March 2016 +++ Upgrading your Textile posts to Markdown
- Feb 2016 +++ GitHub Pages now faster and simpler with Jekyll 3.0
- Sept 2015 +++ Easier feeds for GitHub Pages
- May 2015 +++ Releases metadata for GitHub Pages
- Apr 2015 +++ Eight lessons learned hacking on GitHub Pages for six months
- Jan 2015 +++ How GitHub uses GitHub to document GitHub
- Jul 2014 +++ GitHub Pages now runs Jekyll 2.2.0
- May 2014 +++ GitHub Pages <3
- Mar 2014 +++ Repository metadata and plugin support for GitHub Pages
- Sep 2013 +++ Viewing YAML Metadata in your Documents
- Aug 2013 +++ Cutting the GitHub Pages Gem
- May 2013 +++ Jekyll Turns 1.0
- Apr 2013 +++ New GitHub Pages domain: github.io
- Jan 2013 +++ GitHub Pages updated to Jekyll 0.12.0
- Dec 2008 +++ GitHub Pages
GitLab Pages Headquarters (HQ)
Websites for you and your projects
- GitLab Pages (web: pages.gitlab.io)
WordPress Migration / Import / Export / Templates
- WordPress Jekyll Exporter (wordpress: plugins/jekyll-exporter, github: benbalter/wordpress-to-jekyll-exporter) by Ben Balter -- export your WordPress blog to jekyll with one click
- WordPress <--> GitHub Sync (wordpress: plugins/wp-github-sync, github: mAAdhaTTah/wordpress-github-sync) by James DiGioia, Ben Balter et al -- sync content with a GitHub repository (or Jekyll site)
- WordPress Theme <=> Jekyll Template Cheat Sheet @ Planet Jekyll (github: planetjekyll/quickrefs/WORDPRESS.md)
- Wordpress2Jekyll (wordpress: plugins/wp2jekyll) -- a Wordpress plugin that allows you to use Wordpress as your editor and (automatically) export content in to Jekyll. WordPress2Jekyll attempts to marry these two systems together in order to make a site that can be easily managed from all devices.
More static site generators
See the Awesome Static List @ Static Times (github: statictimes/awesome-static) ».
The awesome list is dedicated to the public domain. Use it as you please with no restrictions whatsoever.
Post them to the jekyll talk forum. Thanks!
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the Awesome Jekyll README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.