Doctor alternatives and similar gems
Based on the "Documentation" category.
Alternatively, view Doctor alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
9.5 7.5 L5 Doctor VS GitHub Changelog GeneratorAutomatically generate change log from your tags, issues, labels and pull requests on GitHub.
9.0 9.7 L1 Doctor VS Asciidoctor:gem: A fast, open source text processor and publishing toolchain, written in Ruby, for converting AsciiDoc content to HTML 5, DocBook 5, and other formats.
7.3 0.0 L5 Doctor VS rspec_api_documentationAutomatically generate API documentation from RSpec
7.1 3.8 L5 Doctor VS grape-swaggerAdd OAPI/swagger v2.0 compliant documentation to your grape API
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Doctor or a related project?
What is Doctor
- Doctor is a Documentation Server for all your project docs.
- Doctor beautifully decouples document serving and document contents.
- Create your docs in markdown. Store them anywhere (github/dropbox/google drive/ anywhere really).
- Login to Doctor's Dashboard. Setup links to your doc files in Doctor's Dashboard.
- You are done!
- Doctor's website is a site hosted on doctor using this very Readme.MD file. Yeah very meta.
- Minio Docs has a doctor server running that pulls together MD files that reside across a number of github repos : Eg:
You may use the
Suggest Edits feature in Doctor to submit changes to any of the MD files in github. Doctor relies on github workflow to accept PRs for changes.
Using Docker Compose
Pre-requisite: Install and set up docker on your machine.
# get the docker-compose.yml file from the minio/doctor repo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/minio/doctor/master/docker-compose.yml wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/minio/doctor/master/.env # If you want to start the services in production RAILS_ENV=production docker-compose up -d # If you want to start the services in development docker-compose up -d # get the container name of the web service docker ps # setup the database in a one-off command docker exec docapp bundle exec rake db:setup
- Open http://localhost:3000 on your browser to see doctor running from docker container.
- Note: If you start doctor in production mode, all http requests are redirected to https.
- Documents are organized under Categories.
- Login to the dashboard
- Step 1 : Use the Dashboard to create a new Category : http://localhost:3000/categories/new
- Step 2 : Use the Dashboard to create a link to a new Document : http://localhost:3000/docs/new
- Step 3: Paste the raw URL to the md file when linking a new document. The "Raw" button is on the top of the MD file in github.
- Required : All documents need to be associated under a Category
Quickstart: Setup on OSX
- Install Ruby 2.2.2 using the instructions here.
- Install Rails 4.2.4 using the instructions here.
- Install Postgres using the command
brew install postgres. Configure Launch Agent to start it automatically or use the command
pg_ctl -D /usr/local/var/postgres -l /usr/local/var/postgres/server.log startto start it manually.
Quickstart: Setup on Ubuntu
Clone and start doctor
> git clone https://github.com/minio/doctor.git > cd doctor > bundle install > rake db:drop > rake db:setup > rails s
Now visit http://localhost:3000
[email protected] with password
Doctor!23 to login. Visit http://localhost:3000 to navigate the docs. This can be changed anytime via the Dashboard. We highly recommend that you do if you use Doctor in deployment.
- On Ubuntu vanilla installations,
bundle installsometimes may not go through smoothly. In that case, you may need to run
sudo apt install libpg-dev
- If you get error message:
bundle install, then run
sudo apt-get install nodejs
- If you see error:
ActiveRecord::NoDatabaseError: FATAL: role <your_user_name> does not existduring
rake:db setup, then run:
sudo -u postgres createuser --superuser <your_user_name>
- Ping us on our gitter channel to report any installation issues on your platform.